Type: Views on gender roles in general: gender hostile beliefs
Citation: Lee R, Walters M, Hall J, Basile K. Behavioral and Attitudinal Factors Differentiating Male Intimate Partner Violence Perpetrators With and Without a History of Childhood Family Violence. Journal of Family Violence. 2013; 28(1): 85-94.
Use of Scale: Measure
Level of Generality: General
# of Items Reported: 9
Region: North America
Urban / Rural: nr
Ethnicity: 18% white; 47% Black, 31% Hispanic, 3.5% other
Age Group: Adults only (18+)
Age Range: 18 to 46+
# of Subscales: NR
Subscale Name(s): NR
Direction and Meaning:
Response Range: 5-point Likert scales with responses ranging from 1 (Strongly Disagree) to 5 (Strongly Agree)
Internal Consistency: Cronbach's Alpha: 0.77
Internal Consistency by Subgroup: NA
Test-retest Reliability: NA
Sample Items: A man's got to show the woman who's boss right from the start or he'll end up henpecked
- A woman will only respect a man who will lay down the law to her.
- Many women are so demanding sexually that a man just can’t satisfy them.
- A man’s got to show the woman who’s boss right from the start or he’ll end up henpecked.
- Women are usually sweet until they’ve caught a man, but then they let their true self show.
- A lot of men talk big, but when it comes down to it, they can’t perform well sexually.
- In a dating relationship a woman is largely out to take advantage of a man.
- Men are out for only one thing.
- Most women are sly and manipulating when they are out to attract a man.
- A lot of women seem to get pleasure in putting men down.