Type: Acceptance of IPV
Citation: Kalichman SC, Simbayi LC, Cain D, Cherry C, Henda N. Sexual assault, sexual risks and gender attitudes in a community sample of South African men. AIDS CARE. 2007; 19(1): 20-27.
Use of Scale: Measure
Level of Generality: General
# of Items Reported: 6
Theme: SRH/HIV, Violence, Gender/social norms
Region: Sub-Saharan Africa
Country: South Africa
Urban / Rural: nr
Ethnicity: 35% mixed race, 57% indigenous African, 8% white or Indian
Age Group: Adults only (18+)
Age Range: 18 and older. 46% of the sample were aged 18 to 26
# of Subscales: NR
Subscale Name(s): NR
Direction and Meaning:
Response Range: NR
Internal Consistency: NA
Internal Consistency by Subgroup: NA
Test-retest Reliability: NA
Sample Items: A woman who talks disrespectful to a man in public should expect 234 trouble.
- A woman who talks disrespectful to a man in public should expect trouble.
- Hitting a woman is sometimes necessary to keep her in line.
- It is understandable that a man will hit his women if she is disrespectful of him.
- There are times when a man should hit his woman because of things she has done.
- A Man is expected to discipline his woman.